LCAC relies on almost 800 volunteers each year to achieve our mission. From July 2017-June 2018, LCAC volunteers provided the manpower of over 10 full-time employees! LCAC serves over 300 families each week across all our programs. The Healthy Families Program alone relies on 100 volunteers a month to ensure that food is picked up at area stores, organized on the shelves, packaged, distributed and recorded. There are a wide variety of volunteer opportunities, so whether you have a little time or a lot of time, we need your help! Contact Christen, Director of Volunteers, to see how you can make a difference.
Here are some of the ways you can lend your talents, interests and time to LCAC:
- Food pick-up from local grocery stores and/or schools
- Sorting, shelving and organizing food
- Helping as a co-lead or teach a one-time Nutrition Class
- Serve as a pantry lead one afternoon each week
- Bill, a loyal LCAC volunteer, works in the pantry three mornings a week making “A” bags (pantry staples such as pasta, pasta sauce, canned vegetables, canned meat, etc.) Bill can make enough “A” bags in one week to feed over 200 families!
- Thrift store donation sorting and/or sales
- Thrift store furniture/household donation pick up
- Retail display and advertising including weekends!
- Have a flair for retail marketing including displays and advertising? We need your help! Lorton’s Attic, LCAC’s Thrift Store, serves a dual purpose–providing clothing, furniture and household goods to LCAC clients AND providing much-needed revenue to support LCAC’s programs and services.
Seasonal: View Seasonal Outreach information.
- Tutoring elementary children (Tuesday evening, year commitment)
- One tutor shared this about the impact this program has on students: One evening I was talking to one of the students before tutoring began. I made a sympathetic comment about how it must be hard to get motivated to come to tutoring after a long day at school. His eyes lit up when he said to, “Are you kidding, I love coming here!!” What a wonderful thing to hear.
- Special event staffing (local fairs, events, festivals)
- Administrative support (e.g., data entry, filing, phone calls)
- Summer lunch program
- Computer instructor/aide
- ESL (Monday or Wednesday evening; offered three times a year)
- Resume writing
- Financial literacy
- Tax preparation assistance
See our current volunteer needs!
Does your child need volunteer hours? Check out our youth volunteer opportunities.
Is your office, neighborhood, civic group or team interested in volunteering? Check our group volunteer opportunities.
If you are looking to complete volunteer hours for court/lawyer, you must email Christen@LortonAction.org with the following information:
- specific reason for needing hours
- the number of hours needed
- the date the hours are to be completed
*Please note that we are unable accept violent offenders.